Having beautiful looking teeth and gums is a sign of good oral health. Cosmetic dentistry is a domain of dentistry that focuses particularly on improving the aesthetics of your teeth and gums. It includes various treatment processes such as oral cleaning, filling cavities, teeth whitening, getting dental crowns, bridges and veneers, bonding, aligning misaligned teeth, etc.
The best thing about cosmetic dentistry is that many processes not only help to enhance the appearance of the teeth, but also improve their functionality and health.
Common cosmetic dental procedures
- Filling cavities: Cavities are caused as a result of bacteria in the mouth eroding the enamel and causing tiny holes in the teeth. If left untreated, food and debris may get accumulated in them, leading to further severities. Hence, a dentists would clean the cavity and fill it with a ‘tooth-colored’ filling material, which is usually made up of composite or ceramic.
- Oral cleaning:Oral cleaning is the method of removing the plaque and tartar from the surface of the teeth. It includes scaling and root planing, which use a hand held ultrasonic scaling device to remove the accumulated microbes and debris.
- Teeth whitening: Improper brusing techniques, consumption of colored foods and drinks, chewing tobacco, etc. usually lead to discoloration of the teeth. A thin layer of microbes get accumulated on them, making them look yellowish brown in color. This layer can be removed using teeth whitening techniques, restoring the teeth back to their natural shade.
- Bonding: Bonding is a method of applying a photosensitive composite resin onto a tooth surface, shaping it according to the contour and hardening it using a special curing light. It can be used to reshape and resize misshapen or chipped teeth, reducing the excessive space between teeth, etc.
- Orthodontics: Orthodontics deals with the proper alignment of misaligned teeth. Malocclusion issues such as spacing, crowding, open bite, closed bite, overbite, underbite, etc. can be treated using orthodontic appliances such as braces or Invisalign.
- Gum contouring: Oral diseases such as periodontitis and gingivitis often affect the gums, causing pain, soreness, bleeding, receding of gums, release of pus from the gums, and in the worst cases, tooth loss. Gum contouring is used to remove the infected gum tissue, treat the disease, and if necessary, extract healthy tissues from a different part of the mouth and graft them to the affected area.
- Artificial restorations: There are several dental appliances that can be used to restore one’s oral aesthetics. Some of them are as follows:
- Crowns:They can be used to restore misshapen, chipped and broken teeth to their ideal shape. Also, they help to hold a tooth which has got a root canal treatment intact.
- Bridges: They are tooth-like structures made up of ceramic, and are used to replace missing teeth.
- Veneers: Veneers are thin wafer-like structures that are bonded on to the frontal surface of teeth. They can be used for several purposes such as changing the shape, size and length of a tooth, improving the appearance of discolored teeth, getting rid of excessive spacing between teeth, etc.
- Inlays and Onlays: They are custom fabricated dental appliances that are used to fill cavities and cover the surface of a tooth.
Cosmetic dentistry plays a vital role in everyone’s life as a beautiful smile is a sign of confidence. People with dull looking teeth and oral infections often feel less confident while talking to people and would think twice before they even smile.
Dr. Roland Elazegui has several years of experience in offering the best dental service to his patients and is one of the leading Cosmetic dentists in Milpitas, CA. Get in touch with us today and wave goodbye to all your dental issues.